As promised, here is a summary of my favourite vitamins and supplements. I truly believe that one should not just take vitamins and supplements in lieu of eating well. That being said, sometimes the demands of modern life and make it difficult for us to eat as well as we should be. Also we may be seriously stressed and/or depleted over a period of time and just reverting back to a healthier diet may not be quite enough or it may be very difficult to change our habits.
I have found for myself that since I have consistently taken my vitamins and supplements I have felt a greater sense of well being, increased energy, reduced digestive complaints, hormonal health including PMS, menstrual cramps, post-period exhaustion, mid-cycle exhaustion and overall better mood. I have also found that at times taking them has helped either kick start me into and/or help me continue to eat better and exercise. And so one healthy habit leads on to another.
I try to take both vitamins and supplements from a “whole food” source, meaning that they are from what comes naturally in the first place.
Lemon and Water first thing. Juice of one lemon in large glass of water. Cleanses the liver, aids healthy digestion, reduces inflammation.
Fifteen minutes later – half a grapefruit. Wakes digestion up amongst other things.
Fifteen minutes later –
1. Floravit Iron and B-vitamin complex – Menstrual issues. B-vitamins especially helpful as well as stress-reducing. I swear by this stuff! More info is at http://www.salus-haus.com/45/33/0/1/productDetail.html. Basic info:
The average person’s body will only dissolve and absorb 20% of most solid supplements and will eliminate the remaining 80% possibly causing side effects such as constipation, gas and bloating. Because Floradix is a liquid solution, it does not require dissolving, and can also make more contact with absorption sites therefore providing 98% absorption of the liquid itself.
- Iron is needed daily in order for your body to grow and function and is required in varying amounts throughout the stages of your life. Research has also shown us that declining iron stores are responsible for numerous health concerns:
- Decreased fertility has been linked to low iron stores.
- Before and during pregnancy low iron can be responsible for improper placenta development and occurrences of pre-term and low birth weight babies.
- In infants and children low iron can cause inadequate production of red blood cells needed for growth.
- In toddlers and school-aged children iron deficiency can cause poor learning, memory and behavioural problems as well a developmental delays.
- From the ages of around 15 to 55 the cycle of menstruation, pregnancy & lactation increases the need for iron.
- In both men and women over 59 iron deficiency has become the most common deficiency due to the body’s decreased ability to absorb nutrients.
- Athletes and those who exercise regularly lose iron through sweat & the digestive tract, putting them at risk for deficiency and decreased endurance.
2. NutraSea Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules – Anti-inflammatory, A healthy heart, Memory and learning support, Blood sugar health, Anti-aging, Healthy brain function and development, Cholesterol health, Healthy liver function, Boost for the immune system, Optimal skin health, aids weight maintenance, and more. Available from http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/. Yes we are pre-dominantly vegetarian but the research indicates this is one thing you just can’t miss.
I can also highly recommend Innate Choice Fish Oil. Steve my husband used to have it at his chiropractic practice in Belfast. Not sure where it is available here. https://www.innatechoice.com/testimonials.cfm?&CFID=4359312&CFTOKEN=40691519. You also might want to consider Pure Krill Oil that is reportedly even better than the other blends (Anchovies, sardines, mackerel). Check out http://krilloil.mercola.com/. There is a female formula including Evening Primose Oil.
3. Vitamin D – 1000IU – immune boosting amongst many other benefits. The list is huge on this one. We use a Natural Factors one which we get through http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/. I take two tablets.
4. Vega – Whole Food Health Optimizer – Vitamin and meal replacement. It has 100% of your daily vitamin and mineral needs per serving. Rich in protein, fibre, Omega 3 EFAs, antioxidants and phytonutrients. No common allergens, alkaline-forming (reduces inflammation) and easy to digest. There is also a large range of other products from Vega as well, some of which I hope to start trying soon. More information is at: http://myvega.com/products/whole-food-health-optimizer/features-benefits. Available at your health store or through http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/.
I use the plain flavoured one. I mix this with water, and Udos Oil and Cinnamon. You can turn it into a smoothie but I find it very filling on it’s own and I find that mixing the oil and cinnamon into the mix is the easiest way for me to get the oil and it makes it quite palatable. I have also recently started taking E3 Live again (I used to years ago) and I add this to the mix too. I find that when I take this mix for breakfast I am so full but not weighed down. I feel like have had a power packed breakfast and I find it easier to eat well for the rest of the day as my cravings are reduced.
5. E3 Live – Blue green algae. This stuff is amazing. Available at La Panthere Verte cafe in Montreal or online. More info is at http://www.e3live.com/ Basic info:
· Increase endurance and stamina
· Lift and balance mood to reduce stress
· Increase mental focus and concentration
· Balance blood-sugar levels
· Speed up recovery time
· Restore overall biochemical balance (1)
· Enjoy long-lasting energy boost (2)
· Grow healthier skin, nails and hair
· Truly enhance overall well-being
(1) Dr. Gabriel Cousens, Director, Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center
(2) Dr. Fred Bisci, nationally renowned health lecturer
E3Live® (Original) is 100% Aphanizomenon flos-aquae blue-green algae (AFA for short) that is an all-organic wild-harvested aqua-botanical considered by renowned health authorities to be nature’s most beneficial superfood. Our E3Live AFA is a non-GMO heirloom variety.
Physiologically, E3Live® helps restore overall body/mind balance in numerous ways. Its field of action simultaneously includes the immune, endocrine, nervous, gastro-intestinal and cardio-vascular systems.
Nutritionally, E3Live® provides 65 easily absorbed vitamins, minerals and enzymes and has more biologically active chlorophyll than any known food. It is the most nutrient dense food known to mankind.
6. Udos Oil 3 6 9 Blend – 2TBSP – this one’s important for hormonal health – PMS, menstruation, mood etc. It has a huge list of benefits again:
· Increase energy, performance, and stamina. EFAs enhance thermogenesis, help build muscle, prevent muscle break down, and speed recovery from fatigue;
· Strengthen the immune system. EFAs make hormone-like eicosanoids that regulate immune and inflammatory responses. Omega-3s have anti-inflammatory effects and can slow autoimmune damage;
· Lower most risk factors for cardiovascular disease. EFAs (especially n3s) lower abnormally high levels of blood pressure, triglycerides, Lp(a), fibrinogen, tendency to clot formation, and inflammation;
· Improve brain function: mood, intelligence , behavior, and vision. Our brain is over 60% fat. EFAs are important components of the entire nervous system. They are necessary to make the neurotransmitter serotonin. Depression and other brain diseases show decreased levels of omega-3;
· Aid in weight reduction. EFAs help keep mood and energy up and suppress appetite, thereby aiding in weight loss. More recently, they have been found to block the genes that produce fat in the body (saturated and Trans Fat do not have this same effect) and increase thermogenesis;
· Regulate organs and glands. Liver and kidneys, adrenal and thyroid glands, and the production of male and female hormones need EFAs;
· Speed recovery and healing. EFAs are necessary for cell growth and division. They form all cell membranes and regulate vital cell activity;
· Support healthy child development. For nervous system development, a growing fetus needs optimum EFAs from the mother’s body. Mothers become depleted of EFAs during pregnancy, and need optimal EFA intake for their health and their children’s optimum development;
· Improve digestion. Poorly digested foods tie up the immune system and can cause gut inflammation, leaky gut, and allergies. Omega-3s improve gut integrity, and decrease inflammation and “leaky gut”;
· Decrease infection. EFAs have anti-fungal, anti-yeast, and anti-microbial properties, helping to protect against infections;
· Keep bones strong. EFAs aid in the transport of minerals that keep bones and teeth strong, helping to prevent osteoporosis;
· Protect genetic material. EFAs regulate gene expression, and omega-3s inhibit tumor growth;
· Ease PMS. Studies indicate that omega-6 (GLA) intake was voted, by women, among the top three most effective PMS treatments. Omega-3s may be even more effective;
· Produce beautiful skin, hair, and nails. Some of the first signs of EFA deficiency are dry, flaky skin, dull hair, and brittle nails. omega-3s can help skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. Also, GLA (omega-6 derivative) administration is useful for some patients with atopic eczema.
Check out http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm. This works! Take it every day for three months and see the difference! Available through http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/
7. 1 tsp Cinnamon. Blood sugar regulation amongst other benefits. Try to get an organic one. Bulk box. Organic if you can. I add this to my Vega. Available through http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/
With other meals:
8. Udos Choice Adults Blend Digestive Enzymes – To support healthy digestion. Take fifteen minutes before meals. Not available through Nutraways – available through health shops. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/digestive_enzymes_en.htm
9. Udos Choice Adult’s Blend Probiotic. Digestive health and immunity. 70 to 80% of our immunity is related to our digestive health. Improve your digestion and improve your immunity. Contains L Plantarum which is essential and not always included in a probiotic. Note – when you start to take a pro-biotic you might experience bloating, gas and/or irregularity. This is because the good bacteria is fighting with the bad bacteria in your gut. It balances out. Stick with it and you will find a difference. Take with meals. http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/probiotics_en.htm. Not available through Nutraways – available through health shops. Some basic info:
- 8 adult-specific bacterial strains at an appropriate strength, designed specifically to reflect healthy adult microflora.
- Limits the action of invading microbes or pathogens and disease-causing bacteria.
- Breaks down lactose and produces the enzyme lactase, improving lactose intolerance.
- Contributes to the absorption of minerals and the manufacture of important B vitamins.
- Improves digestion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
- Promotes regular bowel movements.
- 12 billion viable/active cells
- Availability: 60 vegetarian capsules (dairy free)
Hi-Potency Bowel Blend
• Inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria and viruses that can cause diarrhea
• Remedies chronic constipation
• Helps to relieve and prevent intestinal inflammation
• Enhances the functioning of the immune system
• Helps reduce the incidence of lactose sensitivity
• 70 billion viable/active cells per capsule
This is relevant for UTI’s and vaginal tract infections, yeast imbalance and leaky gut
Other Recommended Probiotics:
Natural Factors Ultimate Multi-Probiotic – This is the one I am currently taking. It has a good blend and is available through. http://www.nutrawayscanada.com. More info is at: http://naturalfactors.com/ca/en/products/683/ultimate-multi-probiotic
Dr Mercola’s Probiotics – Dr Mercola knows what he is talking about. The benefits are too long to list here. Check it out at: http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics.html?s_kwcid=TC|15735|probiotics%20lactobacillus||S|b|10723284424&gclid=CMDw05b886wCFQPe4AodyQrLTw
Innate Choice Probiotics – Dr James Chestnut’s formula – https://www.innatechoice.com/viewproducts.cfm?&CFID=4971440&CFTOKEN=17230328. Basic info:
- Genetically congruent probiotic formula
- 30 servings – 60 caps/bottle – 15 billion/capsule
- For healthy intestinal and immune systems
- 100% vegetarian – dairy/wheat free
Note: you can over do it with vitamins. There are a couple you have to particularly careful with and that is Iron, and vitamin D.
Iron – the body will normally store less if it has enough but on occasions it over-absorbs. Females aged 11 to 50 require 15 mg per day. You can get your levels monitored. I did get my levels checked a while back and although they did not come up as low, I found that when I started taking the Floravit and Vega I had a huge improvement. So I wonder sometimes how effective even the testing is. As the Vega has 100% of the dietary requirements my plan is to take the Floravit for a few months and then try dropping it but continuing with everything else.
Vitamin D – “Can too much vitamin D be harmful? Yes, it certainly can – though anything can be toxic in excess, even water. As one of the safest substances known to man, vitamin D toxicity is very rare. In fact, people are at far greater risk of vitamin D deficiency than they are of vitamin D toxicity.” http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/what-is-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-toxicity/
Nutraways is where we order most of the stuff from. It is a BC based company so with no provincial taxes on everything it is way cheaper. Free shipping with orders over $70. http://www.nutrawayscanada.com.
When I am doing the right things and taking these I feel a world of difference. My advice on this is you have to give it a couple of weeks absolute minimum for things to kick in. I hope you find this useful.